Wednesday, April 30, 2014

Si Dios Quiere Part 2

We left for our campo of Venue early the next morning. It was two hours to the North of the ILAC center. The ride there was shaky because after the first hour we began to climb up very steep hills to get to the mountainside where we would be staying. I was scared for my life when we started up the very narrow and windy road to the top of the mountain. I swear the bus was almost vertical during that trip. We arrived at the campo site and began to unload the bus and carry our supplies for the week into Venue. As I walked down the steep hill I looked around me at the village that would be our home for the next week, and I was amazed. We were told that we might be taking bucket showers because there wasn’t running water, but it wasn’t bad at all. The main part of the village that we stayed in had several houses that were spread around. Everyone in this part of the village was related by blood or by marriage. Our mom during the trip was Adita, she lived outside of the village and she walked to all of the parts of Venue every day. We received our housing assignments for the week, and went to our homes to meet the families that we would be living with. Our mom also ran a store in the village that people could buy snacks and treats from. After, we met them we had lunch and went off for our first day of work.
Blue floor we layed for son and his mom.
The work that we were brought to do in Venue was concrete floor laying and planting Cocoa. A typical day would start off with us laying concrete floors and end with us planting cocoa plants. Laying the concrete was back breaking work. The concrete was mixed in the street and then we carried buckets of it to the houses that needed the new floors. Something that I thought was very cool was after we layed the floor, professionals would come a spread a mixture of colored powder and concrete together to create a colored floor. I thought this was something so neat, because when I heard that we were going to be laying concrete floors, I thought of the gray concrete floors, not about making them aesthetically pleasing. We layed several floors throughout the week, and every person that we layed a floor for was a person who was in need and deserving of it. We layed a floor for a deaf woman who was unable to afford getting her floor replaced. She was a very sweet woman. The one that touched me the most was when we helped a woman’s son lay a floor for her. She had been diagnosed with breast cancer, and the son wanted to lay the floor for her so that she could have a smooth floor to walk on. He amazed me by how hard he worked to lay the floor for his mother. He was putting all of the rest of us to shame. I admired his dedication, after we finished with the floor; he bought us all a couple of two liters to share. Our guide said that he had probably used his life savings to get his mother that new floor. Late, we found out that he had a mental disability, but you never would have guessed it with his interactions with us and how hard he worked. That memory will always stick with me.
Cocoa plant that has been freshly opened.
In the afternoon we would plant cocoa plants on the mountainside. The way that we planted things there was not orderly; it was just wherever there was space that is where we would plant the cocoa. The first day our planting site was an hour hike away from our campo. I lost my shoe in the mud that day, and I dug around in the mud for it and had to have one of the other Rockhurst students help me dig it out. We hiked and hiked to get to the first location. The kids were running in front of us like it was nothing, while we were panting trying to keep up with them. Once we reached our site, we began to plant the cocoa. The kids showed us how to pick ripe cocoa and crack it open. You could eat the beans in the cocoa, but it is super bitter. Later during our week we would go and see where the cocoa is dried before it gets shipped out to become chocolate. The mountain where we were planting the cocoa at was very steep. There were little fire ant hills everywhere, and it became a rite of passage to get bitten by them at least once while we were planting cocoa. The rest of the week flew by, as we worked during the morning through the afternoon. Then we hung out with our families at night.

Drying area for the cocoa.
On our last night in Venue, the village threw us a goodbye party. They played music and we danced most of the night away. It was a really fun visit and a good way to end the trip. I can honestly say that I laughed, thought, and cried during my time there. Our week ended sooner than I would have liked. The day after our farewell party we left and headed back to the ILAC center. The ride on the way back was just as scary as the ride up. When we got back to the ILAC center we all showered and then went out into the town to visit an orphanage and go souvenir shopping. The orphanage was also another unique experience. The orphanage there was filled with people who were seen as burdens to their families. Not because their parents had died and they couldn’t go anywhere else. I was happy to see that they had found somewhere to care for them, but still there weren’t enough caretakers there. It pulled at my heart strings and I wanted to be able to do more for them than just visit and interact with them. After we left the orphanage we went souvenir shopping and I felt weird going from the sadness I felt from the orphanage to become an American tourist. This trip was a once in a lifetime experience for me and I really hope that everyone takes advantage of the opportunity that Rockhurst offers to go and help others and become servant leaders.


No comments:

Post a Comment