Thursday, May 1, 2014

Hawk City Heroes!

                The Tuesday that everyone returned from Easter Break marked the beginning of Greek Week. Our theme this year was Hawk City Heroes. So, here we go, the one week where all Greeks come out to compete for the much coveted title of Greek Week Champion. The week started off with a tame beginning of pop tab collections and turning in Yogurtini receipts. Banners went up in the front of Massman, and chalk drawing commenced in the morning until two pm. The day concluded with speaker David Stollman from Campus Speak. He gave a really awesome speech about holding each other accountable for our organizations. I think that it is something that everyone can learn from in the Greek system. We are accountable for what happens to our Greek community we cannot put it off on other people. The next day opened with capture the flag, and ended with Greek Olympics. This was one of the more competitive days that there is, but the race for the lead was really close. The final day of Greek week brought a lot of fun skits and awards announcements. I announced our newest members to Order of Omega during the ceremony. I was really excited about that! This week is always really tough for me because I want to cheer on my organization, but I want to cheer everyone on because I love Greek Life, and I feel like it is something that we need to use to lift each other up as opposed to tearing each other down. I always hate it when other organizations cheer against another organization. I feel like that defeats the purpose of creating Greek Unity. I feel like this week was better organized and didn’t allow for competition to get as out of hand as it has in year passed, and I was very thankful for that. I can only see Greek Week getting better from here on out.

No comments:

Post a Comment